Application Support Engineer
Job Title: Applications Support Engineer
Team: Technology & Innovation
Responsible to: IT Support Manager
Overall Purpose of Job
To provide maintenance and support of all business systems across the group, enabling reliable access for all ICT users.
- Provide ICT support to all users within the group, supporting a wide range of products such as housing management software (CRM), financial, performance and planning software
- Respond to all helpdesk calls within service standards, escalating as required
- User Administration of all systems including creation, deletion of users and granting of permissions in line with business requirements
- Maintain documentation of key processes within the team
- To monitor error reports produced by all business systems, analyse the issue and impact on the business responding with a solution
- Liaise with various 3rd party suppliers
- Assist with development were required to achieve the business aims
- Implementation of standard and minor change requests in line with ICT change management procedures
- Assist with data quality issues within all business systems
- To act proactively to department incidents and provide high-level support ensuring internal incident management procedures are followed
- Communicating with stakeholders via the most effective means to assist and resolve issues
- To assist with the delivery of team plans enabling the division to continuously improve our service and software
- Testing and evaluating new technology and solutions
- Maintain standards set in relation to security and confidentiality
- To administer and facilitate the relationship with the ICT Coaches, providing guidance and support for the group and facilitating meetings
Creativity & Innovation
- Be competent in the use of a wide range of ICT products and use your own initiative to provide resolutions, in order to bring back normal service
- Act as part of a team analysing and evaluating existing products in line with continual service improvement
Contacts & Relationships
- Daily contact with all stakeholders providing assistance and advice on the use of business systems
- Effective interaction with 3rd party suppliers and the ability to thoroughly explain escalated issues
- The post holder will be required to monitor and resolve issues arising from 3rd party support
- Daily contact with colleagues within the department, as well as the Management Team to ensure targets are being met and complex issues, are escalated
Decision Making - Discretion
- Responsible for planning own helpdesk and change management requests to comply with set deadlines and business needs
- Work within set targets and procedures determined by ICT Management
- Able to make proposals for improvement and bringing them forward to the ICT Management Team
- To be aware of the responsibility of risk, and also demonstrate the ability to identify risk, evaluate and implement resolutions
Decision Making - Consequences
- Poor performance of key business systems
- Loss of productivity dependant on the time it takes to return normal service when dealing with incidents
Responsibility for Resources
- Responsibility for sensitive data within the applications that they manage
- Responsible for issuing small to large value items up to the value of £2,000
- Re-prioritisation of work due to changes in business needs, policy, and urgent tasks on a daily basis, working to strict deadlines at all times set by the organisation.
- Unforeseen technical problems that require immediate attention such as system failures requiring work to be carried outside office hours and on own initiative when the situation arises.
- Normal physical demands associated with an office environment.
- Mainly office-based, but with a need to visit the group's other sites
- COVID-19 Update - your role will mostly be carried out by working remotely from home however there will be a requirement for you to attend our main headquarters and other sites on occasions. There will be appropriate safe systems of work in place when this is required.
Knowledge, Skill & Experience Required
- Have an overall ICT awareness of software and be skilled in general aspects of ICT with some experience in an ICT setting or working towards a recognised ICT qualification.
- An understanding of social housing is desirable
- Have an awareness of SQL driven databases and their software
- Knowledge of ITIL or trained to ITILv3 Foundation desirable.
- Logical and solution-orientated individual
- The ability to explain technical issues to non-technical staff
- The ability to prioritise and multi-task with several diverse requests at any one time
- The ability to communicate openly and with ease to all customers and stakeholders
- Ability to perform well in a high pressured environment
- Self-motivated and innovative
- The ability to openly collaborate with team members
Health & Safety
To be aware of risks to personal safety, other employees, customers, company property, and company reputation and to highlight such risks to managers immediately.
Environment and Sustainability
- To ensure the environment and sustainability policies are understood by the post holder
- To promote the importance of considering the environment and sustainability in the role
- To treat the environment with respect and commit to ensuring all services/activities that are provided in this role have taken the impact on the environment into consideration/action plans
General appointment - To be able to identify risks that may affect the achievement of personal and service objectives. To support the organisation's risk management process through good communication and carrying out actions to reduce identified risks.
Equality & Diversity
- To promote equality and diversity amongst our stakeholders, residents, customers, clients, staff, board and committee members, and all those we work with.
- To ensure all customers’ needs are understood and all services that are provided meet individual needs, including in relation to the protected characteristics and customers with additional support needs.
- To treat everyone with dignity and respect at all times.
Position in Organisation
How many staff is the employee responsible for?
Is the responsibility shared with another post?