Neighbourhood Services Cleaner Operative
Job Title: Cleaning Operative
Service: Property Directorate
Team: Neighbourhood Services Team
Neighbourhood Services Team Leader
Overall Purpose of Job
To provide a high quality and customer focused neighbourhood based cleaning service to Ongo tenants and residents, ensuring that internal communal areas are & maintained to a high standard.
Provide a cleaning service to ongo buildings, properties & facilities in line with contract specifications and standards.
- Ensure the cleanliness, security & safety of internal communal areas to an agreed standard and timescales.
- Under the direction of the Neighbourhood Services Team Leader ensure that specification requirements are met, this includes;
- Cleaning, disinfecting halls, landings and other publicly used internal areas.
- Sweeping and litter-picking, bin disinfecting and emptying
- Mopping / vacuuming of floors, stairs, landings and walkways, work-surfaces.
- Removal of ingrained dirt from all surfaces.
- Periodic deep cleaning of communal areas to an agreed frequency.
- Provide cleaning services to ongo facilities, buildings & properties in line with contract specification requirements.
- Ensure at all times there are no hazards in the communal areas and carry out periodic health and safety/fire safety checks
- Ensure compliance with COSHH and Risk Assessment whilst using chemicals or undertaking any related tasks.
- To ensure that all internal and external communal areas are kept free from rubbish.
- Liaise with other internal service areas to ensure that maintenance requirements are reported and monitored for completions
- Liaise with and support Housing Management in dealing with tenancy issues, i.e. tenancy breaches, anti social behaviour and other issues or concerns.
- Liaise with external agencies regarding issues such has fly tipping and bulky waste collections.
- Maintain adequate van stock levels to carry out all tasks as required.
- Act as a representative of Ongo Homes at all times, maintaining a professional and customer focused approach to all customers and stakeholders and following relevant policies and procedures.
Creativity & Innovation
- To provide front line service and point of contact with members of the public, and where possible, deal directly with any problems.
- To liaise effectively with other teams and outside agencies.
- To carry out regular routine inspections. Ensure the cleanliness, security and safety at given sites.
- To carry out minor general practical tasks as required.
- Observe all Health & Safety rules and take reasonable care to promote the Health & Safety of themselves and others.
Contacts & Relationships
- The post holder will be expected to deal with enquires from tenants and residents.
- The post holder will have regular contact with other members of the Neighbourhood Services team including Team Leaders & Managers.
Decision Making – Discretion
- The post holder will have to decide on various forms of action on receiving requests for assistance and upon identifying issues that require addressing or attention.
- They will need to make decisions regarding how to resolve day to day operational issues and when to involve other teams and organisations
Decision Making – Consequences
- Decisions made could affect the reputation of the organisation in relation to the maintenance of our neighbourhoods and have a detrimental effect of the lives of our tenants.
- Decisions could have impact on ensuring that H&S legislation is met whilst undertaking their duties.
- Customer satisfaction could be affected if standards and expectations aren’t met.
- Responsibility for Resources
- Cleaning equipment, tools (including power tools and some specialist equipment) and supplies.
- Any vehicle used by the post holder to carry out their duties
- Personal equipment such as mobile phones, safety equipment
- Van stock materials.
- Work to a rota with the need to adjust workload.
- Normal daily routines involving walking, lifting & carrying.
- Heavy lifting may be required whilst carrying out the role.
- Cleaning duties, use of power tools & other equipment on a daily basis.Working Conditions
- Mobility – Vehicle
- Working at properties & buildings, both internally & externally, in a normal office environment which will be well lit & ventilated.
- Working neighbourhood wide, internally & externally within Ongo properties and buildings.
- Some potential risk associated with unpleasant substances whilst on site.
- Work will be undertaken in both cold and hot conditions.
- May be subject to some verbal abuse and aggression.
Knowledge, Skill & Experience Required
- Health & Safety awareness
- COSHH awareness
- Experience of caretaking, cleaning or general repairs.
- Physically fit
- Full driving licence (manual vehicle)
- Good communication skills – written & verbal
- Good ICT skills
- Commitment to the provision of a quality service
- Ability to work unsupervised or as part of a team.
- Ability to work flexibly, including evenings/weekend working.Health & Safety Environment and Sustainability
- To be aware of risks to personal safety, other employees, customers, company property and company reputation and to highlight such risks to managers immediately.
- To ensure the environment and sustainability policies are understood by the post holder
- To promote the importance of considering the environment and sustainability in the role
- To treat the environment with respect and commit to ensuring all services/activities that are provided in this role have taken the impact on the environment into consideration/action plans
To be able to identify risks that may affect the achievement of personal and service objectives. To support the organisation's risk management process through good communication and carrying out actions to reduce identified risks.
Equality & Diversity
- To promote equality and diversity amongst our stakeholders, residents, customers, clients, staff, board and committee members and all those we work with.
- To ensure all customers’ needs are understood and all services that are provided meet individual needs, including in relation to the protected characteristics and customers with additional support needs.
- To treat everyone with dignity and respect at all times.
Position in Organisation
How many staff is the employee responsible for? - None
Is the responsibility shared with another post? N/A
Notice Period – One Month